How to Clean Invisalign
Cleaning your Invisalign aligners and retainers is just as important as cleaning your teeth during treatment. Your aligners can accumulate plaque and bacteria throughout the day. Therefore, cleaning them when you clean your teeth can reduce the risk of dental problems and bad breath. Our expert in Invisalign in Burbank will explain how to clean your aligners, and they may recommend a special professional cleaning kit specially designed for cleaning your aligners.
To clean your aligners, you need to:
1. Remove your aligners. You cannot properly clean your aligners or your teeth while you are wearing them.
2. Brush your aligners. Use a soft or baby toothbrush to avoid scratching the aligners, and use a denture cleaner or the Invisalign cleaning crystals for the solution. Brush over the entire aligner on both sides.
3. Rinse thoroughly with water until all traces of solution are gone. Do not use hot water, as they could warp the aligners. Also, do not soak them in mouthwash, which could also damage or discolor the aligners.
4. Air dry your aligners before putting them back into your mouth.
5. Rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash before putting your aligners back into place. This helps reduce bacterial activity, which can increase when you are undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Denture tablets are not recommended for cleaning Invisalign, because they can stain the aligners. Taking care of your aligners can help you get the best results out of your treatment and reduce the risk of decay, periodontal disease or oral irritation during treatment. If you are also wondering about how does Invisalign work, call us today to learn more or to schedule a consultation.
Back to Blog